Camp @ the Camp is a five-week day camp designed to deepen children’s relationship to their natural environment, nourish creativity, build community, and encourage outdoor play. Our grounds at the Settlement Camp Park in Beacon, New York, were once the site of a residential summer camp which the University Settlement founded in 1910 to provide NYC youth with an experience in nature and a place to grow a message of hope, tolerance, and community building. This historic and beautiful site provides a special home for our fun-filled summer program.
- To help children feel comfortable in and understand their environment
- To develop a questioning attitude about their world
- To heighten children’s awareness, using all of their senses to experience some of the places where plants and animals live
- To have children experience certain ecological concepts and to motivate further respect for their surroundings
- To help prepare children for making choices, becoming self-directed, and responsible for their own learning
- To assure children of their inestimable worth
- To create an atmosphere of caring and respect
- To model and grow cooperative, tolerant attitudes
A Typical Day
Camp life is exciting and varied! While we stick to a general daily and weekly schedule, each week is themed and the activities change according to the theme. Special guests and unique impromptu events make every camp day completely different and exhilarating!
The camp day runs Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m- 3:00 p.m. Children will bring their snacks and lunches from home. Our group size is about eight children, with at least one grown-up per group so we can provide individual attention and opportunities for collaboration between campers. The children will be placed in age-appropriate activity groups.
Every week, rain or shine, children ages 5-11 (and CITs ages 12-15):
- Play field games
- Sing, write songs, perform
- Design, make art
- Explore nature
- Tell stories and grow camp community spirit.
These activities will be woven into the special curriculum we create for each week’s designated theme.
Our basic schedule is as follows:
8:30 – 9:00 – Campers arrive
9:00 – 9:30 – Morning meeting: camp songs, announcements of the day’s activities, and a share of student art/music.
9:30 – 10:00 – Group game in field.
10:00 – 10:15 – Snack
10:15 – 11:00 – Activity 1 (Example: Critter puppet-making)
11:00 – 11:45 – Activity 2 (Example: Habitat Hike)
11:45 – 1:00 – Lunch, rest, free play and midday gathering
1:00 – 1:45 – Activity 3 (Example: Swim)
1:45 – 2:30 – Activity 4 (Storytelling and Song Parody writing)
2:30 – 2:45 – Closing circle, pack up, tick check, whole camp games
2:45 – 3:00 – Dismissal
3:00 – 5:00 – Extended Day Program
“There is always that one summer that changes you.”