albums ::

Beacon Then and Now

« Back to all albums

Beacon Then and Now is a collaboration between photographers Linda Hubbard and Robert Rodriguez Jr. with Robert Murphy of the Beacon Historical Society. The images in this album were first published in a commemorative calendar by the Greater Beacon 2009 Committee funded by the Explore NY Quadricentennial Commission. We are privileged to share them with you here.

At left:
Then :: Carroll's Straw Hat Factory, One East Main
34th Annual Convention, Hudson Valley Volunteer Fireman Association 1923

 


Permalink

Now :: One East Main
Electric Windows art event curated by Open Space Gallery to be on display until summer 2009.

Photo by Linda T. Hubbard


Permalink

Then :: East End of Main Street and Tioronda in what was then called Matteawan Village, 1909

Photo courtesy Beacon Historical Society


Permalink

Now :: Main Street in what is now called Beacon

Photo by Robert Rodriguez Jr.


Permalink

Then :: Beacon waterfront 1916
Trolley, train and ferry terminals

Photo courtesy Beacon Historical Society


Permalink

Now :: View of Beacon from high above the Hudson River

Photo by Linda T Hubbard


Permalink

Then :: Beaconcrest Hotel and Casino at the summit of Mount Beacon c.1909

Photo courtesy Beacon Historical Society


Permalink

Now :: Ruins of the gears of the engine house for the Beacon Incline Railway at the summit of Mount Beacon
The Incline Society is comprised of volunteers working to restore the railway.  We are registered with the New York State Department of Education as a not-for-profit Historical Society and hold a Provisional Charter issued by the New York State Board of Regents.  

Photo by Robert Rodriguez Jr.


Permalink

Then :: Women working at the Nabisco Box Factory c.1950

Photo courtesy Beacon Historical Society


Permalink

Now :: The art museum Dia: Beacon now inhabits the Nabisco factory.
Artwork: Imi Knoebel, "24 Colors for Blinky" 1977

Photo: Bill Jacobson


Permalink

Then :: Beacon Fire Tower on Mount Beacon

Photo courtesy Beacon Historical Society


Permalink

Now :: The Beacon Fire Tower is listed on the National Historic Lookout Register
The Committee to Restore the Beacon Fire Tower is an ad hoc committee of interested citizens and residents from the area.

Photo by Robert Rodriguez Jr.

 


Permalink

Then :: Spy Hill Conservatories' campaign speech from the second floor balcony, 1912

Photo courtesy Beacon Historical Society


Permalink

Now :: Beacon Creamery featuring Jane's Ice Cream
134 Main Street

Photo by Robert Rodriguez Jr.


Permalink

Then :: Main Street Parade 1971

Photo courtesy Beacon Historical Society


Permalink

Now :: Halloween Parade 2008

Photo by Linda T Hubbard

 


Permalink

Then :: The ferry boat "Beacon" on the waterfront 1960
Ferry Service is being offered once again.
Operates only on weekdays at peak travel times.

Photo courtesy Beacon Historical Society


Permalink

Now :: Beacon Point, created by renowned sculptor/landscape artist George Trakas.
Designed as a series of gradually cascading steps recalling undulating waves, the work provides easy access to the Hudson River and offers a superb place for visitors to relax and enjoy views of the river and Hudson Highlands.

Photo by Robert Rodriguez Jr.


Permalink

Then :: Near the Mount Beacon Monument 1905

Photo courtesy Beacon Historical Society


Permalink

Now :: Mount Beacon Park was created on land preserved by Scenic Hudson in the City of Beacon and Town of Fishkill.
Totaling 234 acres, the parcels were purchased in 1995 and 1998, respectively. The latter parcel, proposed for a residential subdivision before Scenic Hudson acquired it, contains the remnants of the lower portion of the Mount Beacon Incline Railway. 

Photo by Robert Rodriguez Jr.


Permalink

Then ::  Locomotive on trestle over Fishkill Creek above Sucker Falls, 1872

Photo courtesy Beacon Historical Society


Permalink

Now :: Fishkill creek in what is now Madam Brett Park

Photo by Robert Rodriguez Jr


Permalink

Then :: Dennings Point Beach 1915

Photo courtesy Beacon Historical Society


Permalink

Now :: Dennings Point is now part of Hudson Highlands State Park system

Photo by Robert Rodriguez Jr


Permalink

Then :: Postcard of Lewis Tompkins Hose Company c1920

Photo courtesy Beacon Historical Society


Permalink

The fire house was lovingly restored by the current owners, Hudson Beach Glass

Photo by Linda T Hubbard


Permalink